Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What do you do for work?

"What do you do for work?"

You already know it, but this is one of the most important questions (for her) she's going to ask you, and can radically swing her impression of you one way or the other.

Why is it so important to women anyway? Can’t they just love us for our mad bedroom skills and sweet comic book collections? Does she really want a sugar daddy to buy her stuff? Or does she want to know that we can support her and her six kids in luxury?

Fortunately, most of the time, the answer is “no” to all counts (again... most of the time). What she really wants to know when she asks us about our jobs, is whether or not we’ve got direction and purpose in our lives, and are not just floating along with a revolving door of McJobs. Direction and purpose are very attractive!

Wait, what if you are the CEO of Ferrari? No problem, you can tell her everything about how much money you make, the glamour and luxury that you will dote on her, and so on. Perfect? Hah... No.

There is a flip side... Most women don't want someone who thinks he can impress her with his job. That's ugly to women as well. They hate men who brag about their jobs and wealth.

Now, what really turns her on in the job department...
...is that you are passionate, purposeful and driven in the career of your choice...
...AND THAT YOU LOVE IT.

Loving what you do is one of the most important things you can tell her about your work.

I've written variations of the following on many occasions:


"Well, I should probably tell you what I do for work. Wait, you probably get a non-stop stream of guys trying to impress you like that. OK, I'm not going to fall into that category, so let me say this about my job. I love it, and look forward to it every day. And there are a whole lot of things you'll love about it too."

Or:

"And what do I do for work? Ah a great question. I'm absolutely in love with my job, honestly, it's been my dream job since I was about 14 or 15, and every day I check myself to make sure it's real. If I'm still doing this when I die (assuming it's a long time from now), I'll be pretty happy."

Of course, maybe you do have a crappy job, there are a whole lot of ways to spin it into something positive. In the Online Casanova book, I've got a huge section devoted to the many ways to spin things into a positive light.
Check it out at: http://www.onlinecasanova.com/ if you haven’t yet.

So what if you have a job that you hate?
Well, I’ve got three other options for you:

1) Talk about the strongest positive aspects of your job. This would be things such as the importance of your work, the respect you get from your peers, the great team you manage, and so on...

2) If that isn’t the case and you can’t find any strong positive traits to talk about, then instead talk about other work that you do love, but isn’t your day job. Maybe you are a freelance photographer or web designer on the side... Maybe you coach a local sports team... Maybe you volunteer as a bikini contest judge... Hey, a passion is a passion!

3) Last case scenario... do something about your dead end job! Seriously! Get the hell out of whatever soul killing career you are doing, and take something in a field you love, even if it is less money. Look, life is short, pursue your dreams, take chances... you’ve got nothing to lose and can always go back to your old job if it doesn’t work out.

Ok, ok, so you didn’t sign up for my work advice, back to online dating!

The moral of this newsletter is: speak passionately about everything you do, whether it is your job, sports, hobbies, etc... Women are much more attracted to a man who is full of passion for his life than a man who makes a lot of money. Well, except for gold diggers, but who wants them?


Happy dating!

Dylan Alexander

PS. Quick plug for my book! Check it out at:
http://www.onlinecasanova.com/

No comments: