Thursday, September 6, 2007

If only you could make her read your profile at gunpoint...




If only you could make her read your profile at gunpoint.


But you can't.


Here's a reality that most people don't consider when putting together a profile: they get a good headline, they put up a sexy picture, and then they write a regular profile.


This is what happens: she's drawn in with the headline, she likes the photo, and when she starts reading your profile... she gets bored in 3 sentences and moves on to the next guy.

Maybe you don't remember English writing class back in school. Maybe you skipped it to go smoke herb with the shop teacher or maybe you were asleep at your desk, still hung over. Either way, you should have learned that your first paragraph is the most important. It sets the tone for your entire piece. It hooks the reader, one way or another, and gets them to want to read more.

When you pick up a magazine or newspaper and start reading an article, if you get bored during the first paragraph, how much more do you usually read? NONE OF IT. And that's exactly what's happening with the women reading your profile, they aren't getting hooked, and are wandering off.

Want to know the worst paragraph you can write to lose her attention?

Try waving this lame banner:

"I hate writing these. It's so hard to describe everything about yourself in words. Each time I do I feel I never come close enough to who I really am. Oh well, I guess I have to put something, so here it goes."

Basically, you are telling her that you are uncreative, lacking personal insight, and just as average as every other guy out there who starts his profile the same way.
So, what's a good opening paragraph?

Something that makes her smile always works.

Try running your hot headline right into the opening paragraph, like so:

Headline
"I used to play guitar for KISS"
Profile:

"Yes, I used to play guitar for KISS... Sure, it was in my parent's back yard, my guitar was a broom, and my best friend played some upturned trash cans for a drum set... but man did we rock the neighborhood. I never did make it into KISS, but I'm still in love with the guitar... and my best friend became a garbage man!
Now a little more about me..."
Guaranteed, that will get her attention!
Good luck out there.

Dylan