Thursday, April 3, 2008

Online dating profile length – how long should it be?



How long should an online dating profile be?


“Hey Dylan, got your book and have used it as a point by point reference to put together a new profile. It’s fantastic, you gave me ideas I never would have come up with on my own and I’ve seen a big change in my results in the last week alone. Probably triple. I’m going to keep testing new stuff and keep improving it. One question though... how long should my profile be? Thanks, and hugely looking forward to the next newsletter!” JPD – Toronto


Hey JPD!
Thanks for the kind words, I love hearing that the book has made a difference.

To answer your question, how long should your profile be...

You’ve heard the KISS philosophy? Keep It Short and Simple?

FORGET THAT!

Short is BAD!

Reality check... We men like things short and simple. We tend to have short attention spans. I’m checking in on the latest news about Grand Theft Auto IV as I write this! Seriously!

Women on the other hand.... WANT DETAILS!
You’ve listened to women talking on the phone, swapping life stories in absolute detail. They love it, crave it, need it, adore it. So give them material! You are trying to paint them a picture of your life, you can’t do that in 2 paragraphs.

Here’s what I do:
I choose about 5 or 6 topics from the “Critical Topics That Attracts Women” list. I give each of those topics about 4-6 good sentences, usually in the form of a story to illustrate it. That makes for about 400-500 words.

Holy crap, 400+ words? Who the hell do I think I am, your friggen English teacher from Grade 10? Well... let me tell you this... I’ve tested short profiles and I’ve tested long profiles. And I’ve tested really really long profiles (in the 1000+ word range). 400-500 quality words is the magic number I’ve found.

Remember, you want to hit on at least 5 topics that she CARES about (ie. not your favorite albums and definitely not your favorite football team!) Each one needs to be illustrated in depth using examples or stories (not just adjectives!) This takes time and a bit of though, but it will be well worth it.

Remember how much time and money you put into going out to a bar or club to meet women... Investing an hour or two into writing (and re-writing) a great profile is going to pay much better dividends.

Happy Online Dating!

Dylan Alexander

PS. Don’t forget to maximize the amount of photos you can put up. It makes a huge difference (as long as they are GOOD photos!) in how deeply a woman will connect with you.


PPS. For the list of Critical Profile Topics that Attract Women... go check out my website http://www.onlinecasanova.com/