Friday, April 11, 2008

Online Dating Profile Quick Fix



Online dating profile mistakes are something I go on about a lot. People often ask me about quick fixes for their profiles and usually I tell them to suck it up and put the time in to write something good.

But you are a loyal reader so I’m giving you the quick fix!

In the selection process of dating or anything else, people have a “That’s for me” moment, where it becomes clear in their heads that they want the person they are looking at.

What’s the best way of pushing someone into a “That’s for me” moment?

VISUALIZATION!

Visualization leads to action.

Ever go shopping for a new car and had the sales person say, “Couldn’t you just see yourself tearing down the road in this new Corvette?” And then you see it in your head and it looks goooood.

I do this in every profile I write. First, everything I describe, I do in the form of a story that the reader can visualize.

Instead of saying “I like snowboarding,” I’ll write:
“Every other weekend in the winter, as the sun comes up over the mountains, you’ll find me sitting on the ski lift, 165 K2 Nemesis strapped on, iPod of cruising tunes plugged in, just waiting to hop off and drop into 10cm of fresh powder.”

This is an immensely better way of describing yourself. Creating images of your life makes all kinds of unconscious links with the reader and actually proves what you are saying. It sure beats “I like snowboarding.”

The second type of visual you want to create, is one that includes your reader. You are specifically painting them into your life to push them into that “That’s for me” moment.

Here’s an example:
“My perfect lazy Sunday would probably be you and I going for an early morning walk or rollerblade around the waterfront. We could pick up a couple ice creams and lay around the beach for an hour after, making little sandcastles. After that, head back home to relax in the back yard with our favorite books in a hammock made for two.”


The whole paragraph is designed to get the reader to picture themselves in your life, and to come out of it thinking “Yes, I’d like that!”

There, that’s my one big giant profile fix that you can do right now!

Happy dating!

Dylan Alexander

PS. If you’ve got the Online Casanova book, you’ll find many more examples of this that you can “borrow” for your own profile.
You can find it here:
www.onlinecasanova.com